View post (Jazz Bands)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/20/2007 12:54 pm
Originally Posted by: WeslabaWhat are some of your favorite jazz bands?[/quote]
Duke Ellington's orchestras! Most of the "bands" (really large ensembles) he put together were usually awesome. Also the "bands" of all stars put together by Norman Grantz for the Art Tatum Group Masterpiece CDs are incredible too. My favorite is Vol. 8 with Ben Webster on sax.
Link to Tatum Group Masterpieces Vol. 8 on Amazon
Originally Posted by: WeslabaI've just been listening to, and watching Stanley Jordan for the past little while now, and realized how good jazz guitarists are.

Absolutely! I saw Mr. Jordan about 20 years ago in a very small local theatre in St. Louis (where I grew up). He was on one of his first "big" tours. Absolutely stunning technique and beautiful musicality.

If you are getting into jazz guitar greats, don't forget the best of them all, Joe Pass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pass

The most impressive thing to me about guys like Jordan and Pass is their ability to play an entire solo arrangement: melody, chords, walking bass lines. And do it beautifully, inventively, musically.
[QUOTE=Weslaba]I'm kinda new to jazz, and my jazz tastes aren't really pure jazz stuff...

Why worry about that? You should listen to everything at least once. Then just "keep" what you like. There's a million different "ways" to play jazz. Have fun with it & find something you enjoy to add beauty to your life. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory