View post (Tone wiring tricks)

View thread

Gargy
Gargy
04/17/2007 10:56 pm
Hey guys, I just joined because I have one burning question:

I have a cheap stratocaster copy that I am absolutely in love with (A Hamer Slammer). I wired in a Duncan Performer pickup in the bridge to give it a little extra oomph and it sounded a lot hotter but I still had the exact same tone (like that of a stratocaster but worse).

I rewired it recently and made a little 'mistake' where I wired the bridge pickup to where the neck pickup should go and vice versa, thus giving me a tone control from the bridge. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise since now the tone control that normally controls the neck pickup now controls the bridge pickup... but it still sounds too much like a strat in the bridge pickup.

My question is does anybody know a good little trick to cut out that overbearing strat sound and give the guitar a more well rounded tone? I know some things about car audio equipment and my thought was to wire an inductor in the circuitry somewhere (Since those effectively serve as low-pass filters), and I know capacitors are common but those are usually used to cut out the lows. The amp controls don't really cut it out like I would like, nor do I really like to use effects to do it (I just get the overbearing jangle with effects on it, so its coming from the guitar)