View post (Cigar Box Guitars)

View thread

Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
04/06/2007 11:02 pm
MAVERIC777 I got your PM thanks. I'm posting my plans here so others that might be interested can see how I'm planning to go about this. I have no idea how this will work yet so don't look at these plans as anything other than an idea.

The metal cap on the wood bridge is half of a ford front brake caliper slide that I'm cutting polishing and screwing into the wood whose top I shaped to the same contour. This should stop the strings from cutting into the wood and detuning the thing on me. The wood under this metal cap should I hope allow the resonating of the strings to transmit into the cigar box (fingers crossed). The nut is the same idea. Wood block drilled to fit a solid steal shaft cut and slotted for the strings and glued. I will use small washers on both sides of the neck pressed and glued to keep the strings from digging into the wood on the body side. the strings will simply go through the neck and the standard string grommet will keep it from going through the holes. The tuners will be standard tuners but the head stock will be cut on an angle like a strat to keep the strings straight. 3 string configuration I'm hoping steal strings but without a steal rod in the neck it might bow the neck in time. The neck will be notched so the top of the neck will be flush with the top of the cigar box. I think that's about it so far. Not sure on the pickup design yet. Questions ideas are more than welcome. Just a reminder this is just my idea not a tried and true method.