Punk Chord Progressions

James Sheasgreen
James Sheasgreen
05/08/2012 9:20 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristophI see what you're saying.

. . . but do you think any punk players are going to have any idea what we're talking about? :)

real punk players are born knowing how to play power chords and turn over cars and chug beer.
# 1
wtspeegle
Full Access
wtspeegle
Full Access
05/11/2012 3:03 pm
Originally Posted by: fairway8Interesting thread, it was always a misconception that punks cannot play, Indeed British Punk band the Adverts sung a song called One Chord Wonders, and another band the Nosebleeds (love the names ha. Johnny Foreskin and the Pullbacks, Dan Druff and the Flakes, Wayne Carr and the masturbators ha.) sung a song called 'I aint bin to music school' even though their guitarist Vinnie Reilly was classically trained.
The whole punk scene has produced a vast number of technically accomplished bands and players.
Listen to 'Fall in Love ' early Vibrators with John Ellis
Tracks by 'Television' with Tom Verlaine and Richard LLoyd
or songs by 'The Living End' with guitarist Chris Cheney.
'Under the Floor Again' by the damned with Captain Sensible.
stuff by the LA band called 'X' with guitarist Billy Zoom who incidentally had also played with Gene Vincent.
All this stuff is out there on YouTube.
You could probably include 'Wilko Johnson' with his very unique lead and rythmn style of using his knuckles and thumb.

I have been playing a number of years on and off and to tell the truth if I could play as well as any of the above I would be very happy indeed.

cheers Phil

And don't forget East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys), Greg Genn (Black Flag) or Pat Smear (Germ, ..., Foo Fighters)!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.