View post (philosophy... it's smokin'!)

View thread

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/23/2007 5:11 am
I'm reading this collection of 10 major works of philosophy for fun. This is really out of character, but so far I've been enjoying it. Maybe my distaste for thinking has ended, well atleast in some areas. So I'll probably randomly throw out some questions on here for kicks and giggle... or because I'm confused about something. Confusion is why I'm starting this though, not enlightenment.
Well it starts out with "Apology" which is basically Socrates trial before he is put to death for being a evil doer, misguiding the youth, and you know... the typical thing that is worthy of capitol punishment. In his defense though there was one thing that threw me off, except that one thing was good portion of his arguement so I was confused and had that "what the ****" face on through a good portion of it. He claimed to be wise because he knew that he had no wisdom. Those that had some wisdom, but claimed to have more than they actually had less wisdom. Now what the hell does that even mean? I mean I understand the others people being guilty of having the pretence of having wisdom which they didn't , but what was this wisdom that they claimed to have? What is wisdom in the context of what he's talking about? Is there a difference between wisdom and knowledge? I really need to look more into this and see how Socrates interrogated people. Someone help my brain. :confused: