View post (Home Theater Systems?)

View thread

halo71
halo71
03/07/2007 9:02 pm
I totally agree with schmange! What he said is dead on correct. If buget allows I would get a 7.1 receiver. Is you current 5.1 dolby digital? I know you are on a budget and all, but after buying a TV. I would put as much money as I could in the front main speakers. As suggested....JBL, Klipsh even "some" Bose are pretty decent speakers. But it all boils down to how much you can spend, what sounds best to you and how much does quality mean to you. You should go to a high end audio store. Take some of your favorite CD's and DVD's to test the speakers with. For sonic testing I personally would suggest the Master And Commander DVD. Has awesome surround and bass, for the sub. For audio I would suggest a jazz band called Flim and the BB's, Tricycle. You probably dont have this disc, they might. I would NEVER buy any speakers that I could not listen too, preferably in a room close to the size of my den. Or a room that is not as big as the showroom floor at Best Buys! The speakers will sound very different I can assure you of that. Although having a quality receiver or power amp is needed. You will get the biggest bang for your buck with good quality speakers by far! If you can find a retailer close to you, look for Definitive Technologies loud speakers. I currently have a set of the BP3000's and they are truly amazing! They have smaller lower end speakers that are awesome as well. They have powered sub's built into each cabinet. I have 2 separate power amps that run the high and mids. And the subs have built in ( i think 300 watt) amps in each cabinet. They also have "spikes" on the bottom that firmly plant the speaker cabinet to the sub floor, so they are not floating on the carpet.

As you may can tell I am really big into high end audio. I would not buy any audio equipment from stores like Best Buys etc. But there again it depends on what you can afford and what you like. But remember....you get what you pay for! But I think you will be happier with your purchase after you listen and test out some different brands. Personally I think that the Klipsch are to bright with those big honking horn tweeters. Adding a quality powered sub to them makes a big difference. I've heard some JBL's that I liked, I would recommend you trying them out. Some of the Bose systems sound good but they look like toys. But there again, for their price they are hard to beat!