View post (So I bought this big ol' chordbook....)

View thread

strat-man
strat-man
02/28/2007 9:57 pm
Vegas Wierdo
- Uhhhhhhh... how many chords does the average guitarist know? Would a pro know all of the "several thousand" in this big book of mine? How many chords does Jimmy Page know? John Scofield? I've asked many people in the past and nobody's ever given me a straight answer.

You can hold a conversation knowing only a few hundred of the several thousand words available to you in a dictionary, right? same thing with chords, you dont need to know them all, basically there are 7 chords, a-b-c-d-e-f-g, all the others are just a variation on a theme, a slightly different voice if you like, just as you change the tone of your voice to convey an emotion so do chords, example: Amajor=happy Aminor=sad, Aadd9=Achord with added 9th note of the scale, still an A chord just a slightly different voice.
There are so many different variations of the basic chords and many can be played in more than one position on the neck, which why you walk into the music store to be confronted with such titles as '50,000 essential guitar chords' :eek:
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox