View post (So I bought this big ol' chordbook....)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
02/27/2007 3:26 pm
I'm afraid I don't understand hardly any of the lingo being used in this thread. :confused: I'm the autodidact's autodidact. :( I have a slight inkling of the differences between "major", "minor", and "diminshed", but I draw a blank at all this 7th/5th/6th stuff. Now, I know how to look at a chord chart and turn it into a bassline, and throw in all kinds of filler without having it clash... but that's just a matter of basic scale theory and a good ear.

Some further questions I have:

- Is it possible to do a chord (i.e., a bunch of strings played at once) where it's so dissonant/atonal that it doesn't correspond with any of the 12 notes on the scale? Because when I mess around just making stuff up at random, I can make the thing produce some really awful noise... and I like it.

- Is it possible to play chords while my amp or guitar is plugged into a digital tuner thingy, and have the tuner thingy tell me what note on the scale that the chord is? Or will the poor little thing just get all confused? I tried this once for a few seconds but I had no idea if the thing was telling me the note on the scale or whether it was just throwing something at me at random after having its wee circuits overwhelmed.