View post (Finding a direction)

View thread

donf
donf
02/26/2007 6:42 pm
This'll be long winded, so bear with me :D

In a nut-shell , this is what I'm looking to do; I'd like to take lessons again with a teacher, but when I walk in there and he asks me what I'd like to do, I don't really have an answer for him, cause I don't know myself. Sounds crazy right?............ok long winded section coming up.

I've been a player for appx 12 years, though my playing level isn't up to the time devoted. I enjoy electric blues, cover rock, acoustic type songs, songs you can play with a band and songs I can do solo.

I had played in a band for 3 years (up until last Apr06). We did cover songs like "Jesse's Girl, My Sharona, Black Velvet, etc. That type of stuff. My role was a rhythm guitarist. After I left, I fell away from the guitar . Well now that my interest is sparked again, I really want to get better in all aspects. I don't just want to bang out power chords, but really get better and understand what I'm doing.

I do know I have to work on my rhythm, soloing, theory and technique. I have to be able to come up with game plan to attack those areas. I do have a teacher who asked me to come in if I needed help, but I haven't yet, cause I really don't know how I want to organize what I'd like to do.

I don't know if I'm expressing myself the correct way here, but it looks like there are a lot of instructors here. So, what I'm asking is, if a person (intermediate player) like myself, comes walking into your studio asking the same confusing questions I'm asking, what would you recommend (other than doubling up on lithium). :D

Also, would it be better to do this stuff on my own rather than using an instructor. I feel like I'm driving down the road fast, but I don't have a steering wheel.

Thanks for hearing me out. ;)
Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department