The importance of goals: Perfect Practice

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/21/2007 12:05 pm
Originally Posted by: renIf you'd like, I'd be happy to have a stab at a practice schedule for you like I do for some of my guys. It won't be very complicated - I'd just need to know how long you can devote to it, and what you already know - email me if you'd like to try it Nick. The one I've posted further up this thread gives an indication.

Amen... Being a great guitarist is just time and tabs. Being a great musician means so much more IMO...

Thanks Ren, I'll take you up on the offer and I do appreciate it. I'll send you an email in a couple of days and try to outline what I know. Come to think of it, that should be a pretty short email! And yes, amen to the difference between being a great guitarist as opposed to a great musician. Couldn't agree more.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
damaged
damaged
02/23/2007 10:21 am
I feel that people exagerate how much they practise a day, just say you practice upwards of 6 hours a day you would be admitting to having no life and doing nothing but guitar which I believe i do nothing but guitar mostly and I practice around 2-4hours?
I think people either lie or dont go to school\Dont work\have no social life? Just seems odd thats all its only an opinion so if your not lieing thats great hope to hear some of your works soon.

*EDIT* I ment Practice 6hours a day every day sorry for no specifing I know some days on the week ends I might Practice around this much just not every weekend.
"Make money your god and it will plague you like the devil."
# 2
damaged
damaged
02/23/2007 10:31 am
Guitar is to make music not to wank on being a good musican is so much more then being technicaly proficient on guitar.

PS ~ Platonic_Shred your posts are getting more useful ;)
# 3
ren
ren
02/23/2007 11:05 am
Although for some, it is 'work'...

It's possible to have a life and fit in a fair bit of practice... when I was doing a huge amount it was made up of a couple of hours here and there and a session in the evening... and it was short term with a goal in mind.

I tend to assume that the long practice sessions are undertaken by younger players who are more likely to be at school/college whatever than working a job. I couldn't do long practice sessions long term with all the commitments I have...

If you've got the time and the drive and are actually practicing, then hours and hours is cool. Noodling forever doesn't get you as far as fast. I guess it's my inner-nerd that makes me want technical proficiency as well as musicality.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
damaged
damaged
02/23/2007 11:52 am
Guitar as work is a dream :cool: but i wouldnt have the reptoir of songs and and exercise's to teach and not in a band currently :(
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.