View post (Jazz Chords)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
02/17/2007 12:55 pm
Originally Posted by: Poontang_clanIm taking a jazz course and im having troubles playing the chords, you know all the 4 part chord and all that. I was hoping someone could direct me to a website or something that could show me some closed posititon chords that i can move around the neck. The only ones i know are major minor major 7 and minor 7 chords and I really want to learn them.
Thanks,

You might benefit from studying Inverted Intervals, that way you can incorporate open position chord voicings along with your closed positioned chords just by moving a finger for some progressions. It can help a lot when trying to hit those important notes that define the chord voicing being emphasized. All of the chord shapes that you know from your quote above are based upon intervals, so you can position them in many ways and they're still the same notes. Inversions are characterised by the chord member that occupies the Bass position. Example: a C Major chord is formed from the Root, M3 and the P5 Intervals of the C Major scale. The notes are C-E-G stacked up. If you wanted to play C Major in the 1st inversion, the notes would start with the M3 = E-G-C. Same notes, different flavor. To play it in the 2nd inversion, start with the P5 of C Major= G-C-E, another flavor. The most important note of the Triad is the M3 (E note) because that's what makes the C Major. Move that E note up just 1 interval to F and it changes everything. Now you have a Csus4 chord. It's important to note the interval qualities from the Root position (C-G = P5) and the inversions (1st inversion E-G = b3 / G-C = 4) etc......... Every interval from the Root to the Octive are considered "Simple Intervals" (Major, minor, Perfect, Diminished and Augmented) those Larger than the Octive are "Compound Intervals"
(9th, 11th, etc......).