Bearer of bad news: Audioslave

aschleman
aschleman
02/27/2007 2:06 am
Tom Morello isn't a technically superior guitarist by any means... but his pedal board is overloaded with effects that he uses very well... Perhaps he's the best at innovating the use of effects since Hendrix......

He uses his killswitch that's on his guitar a lot as well...

But yeah... I have a hard time listening to his solos sometimes. They're not all THAT hard to emulate once you sit and tweak around on a multi effects processor... he uses a lot of flanger, phaser, volume swells, whammy, echo, delay.... all to the extremes.
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/27/2007 2:59 am
Originally Posted by: guitarrock24Those solos are not ruined, I would like to see you try and play them. You don't even know how to make those sounds he makes.

I also don't know how to freestyle rap...that doesn't make it good though.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/27/2007 3:57 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdI also don't know how to freestyle rap...that doesn't make it good though.

OH SNAP!!!!

"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/27/2007 5:25 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyI do like some of his solo's. The killing in the name one is pretty cool.

I just laugh during alot of them, especially in audioslave. Sometimes it sounds like they were rocking out, and a duck walked in the studio and started quacking.

I don't like the weird noises for the most part. It's cool that you guys like them...maybe it's just a problem with me :).

I agree, a lot of his solo's are off the wall and often unpleasant to the ear. Like in Wayne's World "Led Zepplin didn't write tunes everyone liked...."

With Audioslaves "Original Fire," Morello refer's to the solo as the laughing monkey's part.

I agree aschleman, he wasn't technical (although knows his theory), but he's the Hendrix or Halen of effects innovation/ utilization. Even further, he used foreign objects to create sounds like an allen key (People of the Sun - RATM.)
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
02/27/2007 12:24 pm
Someone that I think is in the same league as Morello and probably a more technical guitar player.... if you've ever seen him play live is Mike Einziger of Incubus... I forgot about him until I saw them play on Jimmy Kimmel last night.
# 5
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/27/2007 9:18 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccI agree, a lot of his solo's are off the wall and often unpleasant to the ear. Like in Wayne's World "Led Zepplin didn't write tunes everyone liked...."

Nice :). Watched that flick twice last week.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/27/2007 9:46 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanSomeone that I think is in the same league as Morello and probably a more technical guitar player.... if you've ever seen him play live is Mike Einziger of Incubus... I forgot about him until I saw them play on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJy93w5YUrU

6 minutes in

Thats a nifty prcessor, I gotta get me one of those.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/27/2007 9:55 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccI agree aschleman, he wasn't technical (although knows his theory), but he's the Hendrix or Halen of effects innovation/ utilization. Even further, he used foreign objects to create sounds like an allen key (People of the Sun - RATM.)

COUGHCOUGHsonicyouthCOUGH.

I must say, I used to think Tom Morello was sort of a genius, but now that I have a Whammy pedal I'm not so convinced. All his sounds are basically made of delay and a Whammy pedal. I still think his solos are pretty nifty, and I think it's cool for such oddball solos to be a part of mainstream music, but I don't think he's all that innovative.

Maybe if he'd invented the Whammy pedal.....
# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/27/2007 10:34 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckCOUGHCOUGHsonicyouthCOUGH.

I must say, I used to think Tom Morello was sort of a genius, but now that I have a Whammy pedal I'm not so convinced. All his sounds are basically made of delay and a Whammy pedal. I still think his solos are pretty nifty, and I think it's cool for such oddball solos to be a part of mainstream music, but I don't think he's all that innovative.

Maybe if he'd invented the Whammy pedal.....

Its not so much performing the sounds, its coming up with them.

Myspace
# 9
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/28/2007 12:09 am
Originally Posted by: elklandercchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJy93w5YUrU

6 minutes in

Thats a nifty prcessor, I gotta get me one of those.

Thanks dude. That brought back memories. Crow left of the murder was my favourite cd for half of grade 8.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.