View post (Big bad bridges)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
02/16/2007 3:21 pm
I understand what you're saying... High action isn't really your problem. It's more the fact that the compensated bridge of the Gibson style guitars are too far off the body of the guitar to rest your hand on... Gotchya...

Just another reason I don't play Gibsons...

But one option would be to get used to resting your forearm on the guitar instead of your wrist... People that play Les Pauls generally rest their forearms on the edge of the guitar and get most of their leverage from there... Rather than having a contact point at the wrist like most other shredders that play double cut straight neck style guitars... This is one reason why you don't see shred guitar players playing these types of guitars... Simply, they're not built for it... That makes it that much more amazing that Zakk Wylde can play a Gibson the way he does... Most people don't realize that...

Practicing and getting use to the guitar is about the best thing that you can do... You can try putting something on the body but 1. it's going to look tacky either way you go about it... 2. it's going to have to taped on really good which will make it look even worse.... haha...

In the end it's up to you... but I think you've found why Gibsons aren't shred machines!