View post (The Greasy Knots need your Greasy help)

View thread

polansky
polansky
02/10/2007 4:03 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckFor the record, we know it's a bad idea to not have drum mics. We're just really poor. And the next thing we buy will probably something with which to hear our microphone.

Buck, I get it's hard to mic drums and without many mics it's pretty hard to get a cool sounding drums... but.... did you now that John Bonham from Zeppellin recorded all his drums with one ambient drum mic?.

The story tells that John walked tru the whole room with the mic in a boom and tested it and when it got to the right place he went... "if anybody touches that mic I will kill him".

So my point is... don't get discouraged... take a weekend to experiment take your time do many test and do weird things like putting blankets or foam around de kit, place the mic in other room or in the hallway nearby, hell... wrap the mic in the blanket... anything, you'll have a blast and you can find very intresting stuff.

I know recording nowdays are into the point of perfection, digital stuff, super high tech stuff, pro tools, editing software...and some of it it's within reach... but... all the records that turned anyone into music in this forum (let me say that again) in this webpage were made with so basic gear... all great albums were recorded in crappy four tracks with old fashioned mics, and technics like I mentioned, all of them are full of mistakes but that is what makes them great... do your homework and everything will work out fine.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.