View post (Are Marshalls overated?)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
02/09/2007 5:41 pm
Originally Posted by: polanskyThanks bro... that's an awesome idea... I must check some gear like that... big sound small buck (or at least before I swap for some nice speakers).

Any suggestions on the power amp?

There are tons and tons of power amps out there. Most of them are rack mount power amps... Which are made to be bolted into a rack unit that has several other types of preamps and other gadgets like compressors, tuners, noise gates, and so on...

Crate makes a really cost effective power amp called the Power Block (I think)... Basically it's just a little 150w power amp that can be had for around 200-250 bucks. Probably around 150 on Ebay... ebay is a great place to pickup equipment like power amps because they're very very basic pieces of epuipment... Some have tubes which help to give them the reactions of actual tube amps... However, those are quite a bit more expensive, which is to be expected. Check out the Power Block... it's a neat little piece of kit that will let you go between playing loud and playin low volumes without having to worry about tube saturation... It's very portable as well... it only weighs like 5 pounds or something like that... Like I said though... go to Ebay and type "guitar power amp" in the search engine and you should come up with tons of stuff... You can usually find one for cheap on there too.