View post (Are Marshalls overated?)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
02/08/2007 9:49 pm
If you're going to look at modelling amps... the Line 6 line is awesome as far as getting into the mix... However, there are a few out there that do it just as good if not better when it comes to nailing tube-tones... for instance Vox...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482623

That's the 2x12 it's a little over your price range but you can get into a 1x12 that's still gnarley-loud for under 400 USD... It uses Valvetronix technology to get some really bad ass tube tones that react to drive, volume, and saturation just like to all-tube amps... Where as Line 6 amps are mostly based off of a mic'd tube amp at a certain driven and saturated level... The amp looks mean too. I spent a few hours in a Guitar Center messing around a few modeling amps... one was the Crate VTX200 (I think)... which nailed some of the vintage amps... and the clean tones... The Vox AD series nails just about everything... They get VERY loud... they get great bottom end... and they have 11 vintage and modern amp models... plus built in effects and I believe it comes with a Vox footswitch.... You have to buy the Line 6 FB4 switch seperate... which is an exrta 40 bucks or so... unless you go for the long or short board which is over 100 bucks...... I like the way Vox approaches the modeling... it's a bit more professional and more presentable... Like I said though... the Line 6 Spiders are killer.... I would rather have a Flextone though than a Spider... personally... The Line 6 Spider series is largely an entry level amp... It's got tons of cool features and sounds great... but unless you go out and get the footswitch you're going to have to sit next to it all the time tweaking it. Not saying that the Line 6 doesn't fit your style more than the Vox... it's just that I think I've got a pretty good idea of what you're looking for and the Vox AD series hits the sweet spot man... Check'em both out if you can... Ultimately it's your decision bro!! All the suggestions are great suggestions though.