View post (Are Marshalls overated?)

View thread

polansky
polansky
02/08/2007 6:21 am
Thanks everyone for the input... my question came from my experience with them but they are prety questionable, here the story.

When I bought my 7 string I tested it on a Marshall combo (a big one but combo) I could never get a nice heavy sound with it even when I cranked the dirty channel all the way up... :( it was a small store in a mall so I could crank the volume up too much so thats my first wrong I guess.

When I bought my washburn I ran it tru another marshall combo, a bit smaller but again... a combo... I rescued (and said that again) rescued that guitar cause I was so dirty, frets had a lot of sweat and dust build up, strings were so dirty and old that when I tried some pintch harmonics I got nothing... no harmonic... but the amp didn't helped either, again tried to get a sweet heavy sound and could get anything but a wimpy overdrive. :confused:

So that's it... my experience with Marshalls have been bad in the overall, of course I can't get a stack or even a half stack (I should get to be a descent player before that) but I was surprised that so many players say..."oh I just plug my guitar and rip"... and hear all this pretty heavy sound almost in a "right out the box" concept, so I got doubtfull bout that.

I guess that if I wanna a big sound I should get a big amp, but as I said, I want to get to a especifc level of performance before getting into big buck amps, right now I'm looking to get a combo but maybe a Fender or something round $450... I wanna get some versatil amp that fills my sweet tooth for distortion and at the same time having the option to get a nice bluesy sound... so I guess I have to look hard into that.

But some day I'll kick butt and then I'll get a Mesa Double Recto... so consider all of you warned. :D
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.