Slipknot's new album

quickfingers
quickfingers
10/01/2005 6:01 pm
and for the people that sit there and go "nothing good has come out in the last 30 years" need to go hide in a cave with a gun and one bullet. who are you trying to convince by saying that jimmy paige is god? me, or yourself? yea, zep rocks, im crazy about the band, i rock out to them almost daily and ****, but it doesnt mean you cant A:like indie local scenes and B:like bands on the radio. um, newsflash: LED ZEPPELIN USED TO BE PLAYED AT HIGH SCHOOL PROMS. wow, slipknot goes over the top to create a metalish atmosphere. who cares, dude? they still kick some pretty moderate ass, and to tehll you the truth, id rather listen to "i am hated" by slipknot than "jump" by van halen. yea, its fun to play van halen solos. so what. you guys (and granted, many of you might not fit this category, but alot more do as far as i have seen) get talent mixed with showmanship, which bugs me. yes, theyre musicians, and yes, theyre good. no, neither of the guitarists would win a guitar duel against joe petrucci. who cares. in all reality, almost no one. you dont have to hate bands that arent 100% gods to be a musician. i havent been playing guitar for even 3 years, but ive probably played more shows than half of you, simply becasue i gave the finger to the whole "you have to be better than any guitarist in teh city for people to go watch you." newsflash, most people dont have a clue about musical talent if it hit them in the face. thats not a good thing, but if people like a bands songs over a solo artist that sits with a classical guitar and plays every eccentric lead riff in teh world, its a different kind of thing. yes, i respect good guitarists. however, i would much rather see the rock n roll soldiers than joe satriani anyday. you guys need to quit hiding in your little "once im better than vai, ill play open mic night at starbucks" imaginations, and get in a ****ing band. if it applies to you, you know who you are.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/01/2005 10:32 pm
Originally Posted by: quickfingersand for the people that sit there and go "nothing good has come out in the last 30 years" need to go hide in a cave with a gun and one bullet. who are you trying to convince by saying that jimmy paige is god? me, or yourself? yea, zep rocks, im crazy about the band, i rock out to them almost daily and ****, but it doesnt mean you cant A:like indie local scenes and B:like bands on the radio. um, newsflash: LED ZEPPELIN USED TO BE PLAYED AT HIGH SCHOOL PROMS. wow, slipknot goes over the top to create a metalish atmosphere. who cares, dude? they still kick some pretty moderate ass, and to tehll you the truth, id rather listen to "i am hated" by slipknot than "jump" by van halen. yea, its fun to play van halen solos. so what. you guys (and granted, many of you might not fit this category, but alot more do as far as i have seen) get talent mixed with showmanship, which bugs me. yes, theyre musicians, and yes, theyre good. no, neither of the guitarists would win a guitar duel against joe petrucci. who cares. in all reality, almost no one. you dont have to hate bands that arent 100% gods to be a musician. i havent been playing guitar for even 3 years, but ive probably played more shows than half of you, simply becasue i gave the finger to the whole "you have to be better than any guitarist in teh city for people to go watch you." newsflash, most people dont have a clue about musical talent if it hit them in the face. thats not a good thing, but if people like a bands songs over a solo artist that sits with a classical guitar and plays every eccentric lead riff in teh world, its a different kind of thing. yes, i respect good guitarists. however, i would much rather see the rock n roll soldiers than joe satriani anyday. you guys need to quit hiding in your little "once im better than vai, ill play open mic night at starbucks" imaginations, and get in a ****ing band. if it applies to you, you know who you are.

im in a ****ing band...rock and roll soldiers are from my town and they suck IMO....i think jimmy page is god...that means i like him best...alice in chains rocked and they are not 30 years old. i dont even know who you are so why would you think im trying to convince you of anything, im stating an opinion. p.s. **** off
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
baci
baci
10/01/2005 10:47 pm
I thought music was all about Atmosphere, and the effect you have on an audience, Granted ****knots stage act is wack and there musical talent may not be perfect, BUT for the crowd that follows, they are gods, personally, i think Gilbert is god, also buckethead, now neither are the greatest (to me they are obviously) but there will always be debates and opinions.......its good to vouch them to :D

but, the moral of the story is, they do what they do, they must enjoy it, and with the talent they do have, they do a good job :)

Simple.
# 3
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/01/2005 10:48 pm
Originally Posted by: baciI thought music was all about Atmosphere, and the effect you have on an audience, Granted ****knots stage act is wack and there musical talent may not be perfect, BUT for the crowd that follows, they are gods, personally, i think Gilbert is god, also buckethead, now neither are the greatest (to me they are obviously) but there will always be debates and opinions.......its good to vouch them to :D

but, the moral of the story is, they do what they do, they must enjoy it, and with the talent they do have, they do a good job :)

Simple.

right on :D
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2005 2:42 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersno, neither of the guitarists would win a guitar duel against joe petrucci.

Who the **** is Joe Petrucci?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2005 2:52 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersand for the people that sit there and go "nothing good has come out in the last 30 years" need to go hide in a cave with a gun and one bullet. who are you trying to convince by saying that jimmy paige is god? me, or yourself? yea, zep rocks, im crazy about the band, i rock out to them almost daily and ****, but it doesnt mean you cant A:like indie local scenes and B:like bands on the radio. um, newsflash: LED ZEPPELIN USED TO BE PLAYED AT HIGH SCHOOL PROMS. wow, slipknot goes over the top to create a metalish atmosphere. who cares, dude? they still kick some pretty moderate ass, and to tehll you the truth, id rather listen to "i am hated" by slipknot than "jump" by van halen. yea, its fun to play van halen solos. so what. you guys (and granted, many of you might not fit this category, but alot more do as far as i have seen) get talent mixed with showmanship, which bugs me. yes, theyre musicians, and yes, theyre good. no, neither of the guitarists would win a guitar duel against joe petrucci. who cares. in all reality, almost no one. you dont have to hate bands that arent 100% gods to be a musician. i havent been playing guitar for even 3 years, but ive probably played more shows than half of you, simply becasue i gave the finger to the whole "you have to be better than any guitarist in teh city for people to go watch you." newsflash, most people dont have a clue about musical talent if it hit them in the face. thats not a good thing, but if people like a bands songs over a solo artist that sits with a classical guitar and plays every eccentric lead riff in teh world, its a different kind of thing. yes, i respect good guitarists. however, i would much rather see the rock n roll soldiers than joe satriani anyday. you guys need to quit hiding in your little "once im better than vai, ill play open mic night at starbucks" imaginations, and get in a ****ing band. if it applies to you, you know who you are.

Hmm...this kinda had to do with Slipknot for a little bit...

Perhaps you should work on organizing your thoughts. I hope someone with more patience than me is willing to debate this. If not, I'll do it.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/02/2005 2:59 am
Who would've thought that a thread from 4 years ago would suddenly gear out and cause such an argument... over slipknot at that. I'll credit them as being capable musicians, but for as much talk as they've done I think they've failed at living up to their words. If you really feel like taking my view and firing off a thread in retaliation to defend the slipknot name then go ahead. As for Joe Petrucci, maybe he's a hybrid between Jon Petrucci and Joe Satriani creating a super guitarist.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/03/2005 1:33 am
Originally Posted by: berserk5002001their sound is insanely crazy

:) 34567890
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/03/2005 3:03 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14What a stupid thread. I've read nothing so far except people bashing each other's musical preferences.

You may not LIKE Slipknot, but the fact is... they do NOT suck. They are extremely skilled musicians and are, IMO, a good metal band.

God dammit, don't make me argue with you. I actually like you.

That said:

Look, dude, even if their guitarist is technically skilled (which, I hate to say, he is). It is not really that evident in his work with Korn 2...I mean...Slipknot. Their bland, generic backings certainly don't show it, nor do their masturbatory guitar solos with almost NO direction whatsoever. I'd type more but apparently I'm supposed to go to lunch with some peeps.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 9
alucard0941
alucard0941
10/03/2005 8:36 pm
Originally Posted by: Led ZeppelinI bet your another one of these people who doesnt listen to bands because they only use chords or whatever. And let me guess, youre a big Van Halen fan, right? And Steve Vai is god, of course.

The guitarists in Slipknot are actually pretty good, Id say there alot better than you in fact. Now Im not exactly a Slipknot an myself, in fact I hate them but its attitudes like yours that make me spring to their defence.

thats so true dude.

I also hate Slipknot, but just blatently saying a band sucks and making a freaking thread about it is pure....(well I would get a referall if I continued)
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 10
alucard0941
alucard0941
10/09/2005 2:19 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersi bought the ablum a few weeks ago because i heard pulse of the maggots and duality. that was enough for me. amazing songs,

I KnOw MaN!1!1!

I LoVe BaNdS tHat HaVe NaMes LiKe...pulse of the maggots

:rolleyes:

JollyMcJollyson:
Look, dude, even if their guitarist is technically skilled (which, I hate to say, he is)

...thats a slipknot pun :p
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 11
MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
10/10/2005 6:52 am
oh boy.... :(

slipknot cant surely impress everydody. so is you and everbody else in the world..

Slipknots guitarist maybe not that awesome but drummerworld.com says JOEY Jordison(drums) is the Fastest drummer in metal history.

a band dont revolve only on how good your guitarist is.

every one has different preferences on what good music is in their ears.

if you really want to judge a band if they suck or not try looking at their album sale.

if you want to judge their technicalities watch them live.

then give your conclusion
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/10/2005 7:08 am
Originally Posted by: MoonliteShredSlipknots guitarist maybe not that awesome but drummerworld.com says JOEY Jordison(drums) is the Fastest drummer in metal history.

Oh well then it MUST be true! I've been listening to their stuff. The day he's faster than the guy from Sonata Artica or the dude from Rhapsody is the day I **** rainbow sherbert Ice cream.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/10/2005 4:20 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14I'm not saying Joey's the fastest, but I haven't heard many drummers at all that outdo him.

I've heard plenty (almost any time I've put on a jazz CD as a matter of fact); everything I've heard Jordison do is merely pure athleticism. Almost anybody who works at it long enough can pull that off. Polyrhythms and such, now that's another story altogether.

I'd much rather work with someone like J.P. Gaster (Clutch) or Sean Kinney (Alice in Chains) who's doing something interesting all the time rather than laying into a song with a lot of blast beats and never putting any more thought into it than that.

Hell, most drummers are lucky to come up with one signature beat and Sean Kinney probably averages four or five per album.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/10/2005 7:45 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14I'm not saying Joey's the fastest, but I haven't heard many drummers at all that outdo him.

BTW, Rhapsody is awesome!! (mainly because they've got Christopher Lee narrating)

Neil Pert, Mike Portnoy, Tim Alexander, maybe?

Yeah, dude, that was great. The only Rhapsody album on which the narration was any good at all.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 15
alucard0941
alucard0941
10/11/2005 12:16 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraAlbum sales are a poor measure of how good a band is.

Britney Spears
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 16
MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
10/11/2005 12:37 am
if you suck who would buy your album?????

:confused:

britney spears aint a good singer but many appreciate her music

music is all about being honest to your audience and people appreciation man

# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/11/2005 2:19 am
Originally Posted by: MoonliteShredif you suck who would buy your album?????

:confused:[/quote]
An A.C. or GG Allin fan?

Originally Posted by: MoonliteShredbritney spears aint a good singer but many appreciate her music

Considering she writes none of it, doesn't perform any of the instrumental tracks on it and probably has a very minimal role in even choosing the music she "performs," how is it even really her music?

Next, pretty much everybody I know who listens to Britney Spears would listen to Dying Fetus if they were played on a Top 40 radio station... they're not appreciating the music, they're ignoring it while they work/drive/putz around the house/whatever.

[QUOTE=MoonliteShred]music is all about being honest to your audience and people appreciation man

Here again, I don't see Britney Spears' music as an honest artistic expression; it is merely a product for which people pay money and little else. Now that she's famous, you don't even see her making music -- she's just enjoying her wealth and fame and not doing much of anything beyond that (as far as I can see, anyway).

Now, on the other hand, let's consider Johnny Cash; he was making music as he was dying. On "The Man Comes Around," you can practically hear the oxygen tanks in the background.

Here you have a man who was making music right up until the last minute not for wealth (he knew he didn't have long to live) or fame, but because that's what he needed to do; he felt "Mean Eyed Cat" wasn't yet finished and a that a few other songs just weren't "right" yet, he had new song ideas, Rick Ruben had found songs he wanted to cover and he had plans for a Gospel album.

That's passion and honesty and artistic integrity, not "Oops! I Did it Again."

Now, how Slipknot fits between them, I'm not going to make that judgement.

I just know there's a lot of other things out there I'd rather listen to.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
10/11/2005 3:50 am
im not saying britney is one of those.... :rolleyes:

# 19
berserk5002001
berserk5002001
10/16/2005 10:24 pm
Wait, how can this be 4 years old when their CD didn't come out in 2001? It came out in like....I want to say later 2003-04, so that makes it impossible for it to be 4 years old when the guy was talking about Volume 3 in the first post. And I just put my 2 cents in because I was looking for what kind of gear they use now anyway, but it doesn't really matter.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.