View post (Band Dynamics)

View thread

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/07/2007 8:17 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI'm not in a band at the moment... But what my band did in the past about riff's was to always give each riff about a 10 minute jam session to see where things went... A lot of times the riff may sound "bad" because it's missing a subtle nuance somewhere along the way... in a good solid jam session someone might be able to get comfortable with it to add in that little special thing that takes it from a crappy riff to a tasty little diddy..

I agree with that...some of my, and my bands best stuff has come from just jamming a groove and seeing where it goes...actually, all our songs, but one have come about that way...we're thinking of putting an improv jam into our setlist, because we've done it so much, and jam so often that we rarely sound bad when we just play off of eachother...

not only is this a great way to wrtite, but it's a great way to get better as a musician, and as a band...the more you play together, the tighter you get...and you get familiar with the way your bandmates think and play.

It's also really really fun!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]