View post (Resolution to the frequent debates about speed)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
01/29/2007 1:56 pm
Originally Posted by: PlatonicShred

Ask them about Holdsworth---they will say the same thing, provided they are musically informed enough.

Don't get me wrong man. I know I've argued plenty in these threads with you... I get what you're saying, I really do. That the term virtuoso is a definite term with a definite value... of which can be easliy determined by comparisons in technical ability amongst guitarists... I somewhat agree...

My best friend, and co-owner of my studio is currently in music school in Los Angeles.... and he uses phrases like the one that you've used above and nothing gets me more fired up than that... Not to take away from any of your personal achievements of attending Berklee... But I've noticed on more than one occasion how jaded people become when they're exposed to such a high level of musical ability and perfectionism... People go into music school loving music... and they come out loving perfect music. Nothing about music to me is suppose to be perfect... Virtuoso to me means perfection of a specific instrument... very very very few can be labeled virtuoso's... I personally wouldn't even call Yngwie a virtuoso... and I would like to think that I'm very much musicially "informed". I agree with you on some of your main points... and I can respect your outlook on music from someone with an education from Berklee....... music isn't about being perfect... it's an expression of the soul... If someone beats a drum offbeat and calls it music, I will respect that because it's conveying an emotion that they felt inside... Doesn't make it any less "musical" because it doesn't follow those good old laws of music theory that they taught you at Berklee. I guess what I'm trying to say is that music is such a broad spectrum... and with that come lots of perspectives of which to view... Yours is just one of them... I personally find it interesting to listen to you explain yourself further... It reminds me how I never in a million years would let myself go to Berklee.... hahaha. (it's a joke, don't take offense... I hold Berklee in the highest regards.)