View post (Resolution to the frequent debates about speed)

View thread

elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/27/2007 8:44 pm
Originally Posted by: BenoitI've seen a lot of guitarist mistaking fretted note with muted notes at high speed. Or hitting twice the same note. Doesn't much of a delay to mess up the run at those speed.

Heck! I've done it myself. We all do it at some point. I usually try to push it ... get frustrated .. back down the tempo ... feel better ... have a nap.

If someone really thinks he can play that fast .... turn off the distortion. You'll see guitarist get frustrated. With no distortion/compressor/any kind of effect you'll have to have that even tone that PlatonicShred is talking about. I believe any guitar player can achieve great tone, but I don`t believe we can all have it at high speed. You really have to find your comfort zone and work from there.

That's why I get frustrated at people looking down at guitarists that aren`t "fast" even tho they can create the greatest solos with a few notes.

I've seen many videos of Zakk Wylde playing unplugged or with an acoustic and he plays pretty cleanly, why people think he's overrated while Billy Joe Armstrong (or whoever) prounces around like he's God is beyond me.

Also, Alexi Lahio was saying in an interview that a lot of guitarists these days are super fast but can be super lame. I agree, I don't listen to a whole lot of Petrucci because he plays fast through lots of his songs and it sounds like one long solo and I just get turned off and change cd's. I do like his newest cd though.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace