View post (Resolution to the frequent debates about speed)

View thread

01/27/2007 12:53 pm
Originally Posted by: PlatonicShredKeep in mind that you don't count if you cannot do this cleanly, cannot do it on cue, or are inconsistent in your timing. ((Many a guitarist thinks they are playing an even liquid line when in fact they are speeding up at the last note of a string and slowing down on the first note of the string))

I've seen a lot of guitarist mistaking fretted note with muted notes at high speed. Or hitting twice the same note. Doesn't much of a delay to mess up the run at those speed.

Heck! I've done it myself. We all do it at some point. I usually try to push it ... get frustrated .. back down the tempo ... feel better ... have a nap.

If someone really thinks he can play that fast .... turn off the distortion. You'll see guitarist get frustrated. With no distortion/compressor/any kind of effect you'll have to have that even tone that PlatonicShred is talking about. I believe any guitar player can achieve great tone, but I don`t believe we can all have it at high speed. You really have to find your comfort zone and work from there.

That's why I get frustrated at people looking down at guitarists that aren`t "fast" even tho they can create the greatest solos with a few notes.