View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/29/2010 6:20 pm
Originally Posted by: JOHN JAUNESEway too many questions...[/quote]
Fair enough. Let's tackle one at a time.

Why do you say the harmonic minor scale has no system of modes?
Originally Posted by: JOHN JAUNESEI suggest the following readings for starters.[/quote]
Yes, I've read those & other similiar works.

I don't remember any of them referring to harmonic minor as The Classical Scale or the King Of Tonality. Or reading that harmonic minor has no modes. But I simply might not remember it correctly. Is that info in one of those books?
[QUOTE=JOHN JAUNESE]
The Melodic Minor was created to smooth out the vocal lines in choir music, as the Aug 2nd was not pleasant for vocal arrangements. I think it was Mozart who spear headed that effort.

I am aware of the origins of melodic minor. I was asking why you singled out only the harmonic minor scale when melodic minor and others are just as widely used in classical music.

Since JS Bach & GF Handel were brilliantly incorporating melodic minor into their choral works over 30 years before Mozart was born I think you might be mistaken on that. Although, Mozart also brilliantly used all the scales at his disposal!
[QUOTE=JOHN JAUNESE]
I was simply trying to participate in a thread, and this person is out of control.

I am simply participating in this thread also. I am not "out of control".

There is no need for moderators. I am only asking honest questions based on your claims. There was no insult intended in my post. I am sorry if you took it that way. I am only trying to make sure the GT Music Theory forum has accurate info.

All good? :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory