Ibanez Jem- Does it get any better??

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/19/2007 5:59 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymint... I'm not too crazy about the tone though.

At the risk of overstating the obvious...

... music is sound!

Tone is a huge part of that. If the tone sucks, nothing else matters.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
01/19/2007 6:08 am
sounds like a signature to me
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/19/2007 6:24 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsAt the risk of overstating the obvious...

... music is sound!

Tone is a huge part of that. If the tone sucks, nothing else matters.

True dat my man, true dat. Thats why I always get pissed at myself when I play. Cuz my tone is equivalent to Jean Claude Van Dam's attempt at making the movie "Bloodsport."
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
axemaster911
axemaster911
01/19/2007 9:44 am
You know if a guitar is lacking good tone that can be overcome with great amps, and quality effects, quality tremolos, and quality pickups in most cases, so no matter what the brand name is, Thats what I seek out, a smoth, tight action with a wonderful feel. But I'm still tallying up the votes for the players choice for the top dog, if there is such a animal?? :cool:
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/19/2007 9:51 am
The thing most people overlook is when you listen to Vai, Satch, Petrucci or whoever, what you actually hear on the cd is not the sound of that guitar going through an amp. Signal chains have become very elaborate these days and the post recording treatment of sound has moved to the stage that you can create pretty much any sound or tone you want once you have a quality recording to start with. Quality recording starts with the pickups and strings. When you get past those two starting points then it's up to the quality of the wiring, cables and the actual body and neck of the guitar that either maintain or degrade the overall starting tone. So if you hear Vai and say I don't like the tone, believe me that is not the sound of a Jem! If it was that easy to create his sound there would be a lot more Vai clones out there. Tone is subjective after all.
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/19/2007 6:15 pm
I've seen Satch live and much prefer his live tone. Not as processed. For example, listen to Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing live and studio. Tell me the live ain't 10 times better.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/19/2007 7:14 pm
I like a good Custom Shop Gibson. If I could only get my hands on one for $80 or so. ;)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
axemaster911
axemaster911
01/20/2007 12:58 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaI like a good Custom Shop Gibson. If I could only get my hands on one for $80 or so. ;)

I've got some ocean front property in Arizona I'll sell you for 80$
But if I had a Custom shop Gibson you couldent pry it out of my dead hands. Good choice! :D
# 8
axemaster911
axemaster911
01/20/2007 1:04 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanThe thing most people overlook is when you listen to Vai, Satch, Petrucci or whoever, what you actually hear on the cd is not the sound of that guitar going through an amp. Signal chains have become very elaborate these days and the post recording treatment of sound has moved to the stage that you can create pretty much any sound or tone you want once you have a quality recording to start with. Quality recording starts with the pickups and strings. When you get past those two starting points then it's up to the quality of the wiring, cables and the actual body and neck of the guitar that either maintain or degrade the overall starting tone. So if you hear Vai and say I don't like the tone, believe me that is not the sound of a Jem! If it was that easy to create his sound there would be a lot more Vai clones out there. Tone is subjective after all.

Your write, tone is a computation of many different aspects. :cool:
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.