View post (Personal Power Amps)

View thread

geoff_in_nc
geoff_in_nc
09/27/2001 2:39 am
Lordathastrings, One other negative point about using a variac to lower the line voltage is that the filament/heater voltage goes down right along with the line voltage, and tubes do not like being operated without the heaters boiling off a fresh supply of electrons... :eek:

I'll second or third you on the low wattages. I've got a plexi-ish amp I built (based off the November lite at http://www.ax84.com with a push-pull 6v6 power amp section that I figure puts out something like 15-18 watts. It's WAAAYYYY too loud with a 2x12 cabinet for playing in the house. I'm thinking of converting it to something like 2-3 watts, maybe using the 6AQ5 or a 6v6 in a single ended setup with a lowered power supply voltage. I've heard that 6k6's will sub for 6v6's and are a (something like) 3-5 watt tube if memory serves.

You know another thing I rarely see mentioned is the efficiency of the speaker. some speakers put out >100dB with 1W. Others put out about 90dB. That's a BIG difference. I'd like to get/build a low wattage amp, paired with a low wattage and slightly inefficient speaker that has the tonal characteristics of a classic Celestion so that I can drive the bejesus out of both the power amp AND the speaker, and not really have the neighbors getting bent.

Just my $0.03.

geoff

{URL code repaired 15 Oct.}

[Edited by Lordathestrings on 10-16-2001 at 12:33 AM]
What if the hokey-pokey really _IS_ what it's all about?