View post (Breaking the horizontal plane)

View thread

donf
donf
01/11/2007 6:11 pm
I've been playing almost 13 years, but ran into a block. Little history. I taught myself early, mostly acoustic. Later I started taking some lessons. Then I moved to another teacher and started studying theory as well. I joined a band as a rhythm guitarist and played for 3 year up until June '06. I not only quit the band, I also stopped playing altogether. I felt burnt out from playing and studying. I self-evaluated myself only to realize. I don't know where I stand. :rolleyes: I feel I'm not as advanced as I should be. I've put a lot of time in everything and I feel sometimes I've wasted a lot of time.

Fast forward to Jan '07 and I'm becoming reviatilized again. But this time I want to head in a positive direction, or at least an organized direction. When I practiced scale and theory, I kind of got it, but I can not put it together. I've learned the circle of fifths, I memorized the fretboard, all different types of scales, but it still hasn't come together for me when it comes to understanding the fretboard.

I want to take lessons again, but not sure what type of teacher would be best for what I want. I'd like to understand what I'm doing, instead of just playing a song from memorization.

For those of you that understand, what was the 'light bulb' that made you smile and say "I got it"? I do have experience, as I said for 13 years, but still feel like I'm travelling a long tunnel. Your recommendations would be appreciated, cause I'm missing something. :confused: :D

The style of music I like is blues, southern rock, classic rock, some oldies.

Thanks guys (gals)
Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department