View post (Speed for talent?)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/18/2001 2:01 am
I like Nirvana, I thought Nevermind was a great album, what I don't like is all the kids who picked up the guitar afterwards cause they wanted to be like him. In their minds Cobain was a reason to not learn how to play correctly. You have to learn the rules before you can break them.
Next thing I knew every 13yr kid who could play a power chord had a band. Nirvana was cool, they where not.
I'm just saying I think Joe offers a positive inspiration on what the guitar is capable of if you put your mind to it. I got nothing against a good 2 chord song, my problem is when that's ALL YOU CAN DO.

A couple of years ago the great guitar guru Pat Martino did an album with different guitar guys sitting in. Of all the great players that where on the album the one that impressed him the most was J.S. I believe the quote was " I don't know who he is, but that boy sure can play.

As far as what I think about Surfing....I think he got his point across. It was a rock guitar album about rock guitar, and nothing else, and when u judge it on those terms I think he did a food job.