View post (Speed for talent?)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/17/2001 10:16 am
If you are Joe satraini fan stop reading now. You may lose your temper (or even the control of your bowls). This is meant to be a slightly more light-hearted look at the guitar world, so please dont get upset it's only my opinion...ahem..here we go:
I was thinking about the best album i had heard, and i honestly couldn't come to a desicsion. I then though about the worst album i had heard, straight away the answers was "Surfing with the alein", i know joe satriani is great guitarist, but this album was cheesy poop.
I found the some of the most profound (and best sounding) stuff, was some of the John Lee Hooker stuff (some of it's alittle depressing too), some My bloody Valentine, some Pixies, some Joy division...you get the idea. Are not that good on guitar. They're not that technical, but produce some truely arresting stuff.
So the question is what is speed without talent?(surfing with alein?). I know the Joe and Mr Vai are guitarists guitarists, but the question begs to be asked... why the hell would anyone want to sound like the cheesy guitar intro to "hang time" or those crappy programs on "drag racing"? I know it makes you a better guitarist to be ABLE to play it, but a lot of poeple try to emulate it.
[this is only oppinion, so please dont take it too seriously ;)]