View post (My next piece of gear...)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
01/04/2007 4:55 pm
I guess I forgot to mention in my above post that the "half stack" isn't really a "half stack"... but I would get a 2x12 enclosure and the head... So it'd be a "half of a half stack".... haha

I'm not in need of an amp. I have a JCM 800 2x12 and a Fender Blues Deluxe 1x12. But the simplicity of the SuperSonic excites me.

I owned a half stack once... It was a Crate Blue VooDoo... which is a killer amp, Great tone. But I never got to turn it up past 3. 160 Watts of tube tone is just too much. Plain and simple. Anything more than 100 watts of anything is too much. I like to keep my wattage around 50-60 watts in my tune amps since I don't want to lug around large cabs and I certainly want to get the most tone out of the tubes... It's pointless having a tube amp that you can't crank up... I do have an attenuator to help with this since my JCM8 is still waaaaayyy to loud.

I like my little combos. They make a lot more sense to me thank a big half stack... Trust me, I've jammed with plenty of people with solid state half stacks that couldn't hear their guitars because I cranked my JCM8 up past 5. haha. Stacks look cool, but unless you're playing a huge venue you'll never get the most out of them. Small amps are better for recording in my opinion as well...