View post (Questions about the Ibanez tremolo)

View thread

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
12/29/2006 5:21 am
Originally Posted by: Vegas WierdoI know Ibanez gets a lot of flak, but every time I pick one up at the store, I find that I can shred on the thing like no other guitar. I find the neck on the S-series to be ideal. I'm guessing it's more or less the same on the RG series. Neck feel is extremely important to me because I have small hands and I like to do weird stuff.

Anyways, I tried an S series the other night and I saw that it had an Ibanez proprietary trem. I see that a lot of their models have this same trem. So naturally, I have some questions.

- Is it as much of a pain in the @$$ as Floyd Rose? The S series I tried seemed to have an LSR Roller Nut as opposed to a locking nut, though perhaps my memory cheats me. I think I remember seeing bridge tuner buttons, but I could be wrong. I do remember seeing screws, which indicates that you have to snip off the ball ends... which to me was the biggest pain of all.

- Does it go two ways instead of just one like the Floyd? It was hard for me to tell because floor models don't have arms.

- What about in terms of sustain/tone? Does it get sucked dry like with FR?

I think what I would do is get a hardtail RG or S, and maybe retrofit it with a Kahler later on. But that limits my options by quite a bit.

Thoughts?

My guess is you saw a guitar with the ZR tremolo it uses ball bearings instead of the "Knife edge" system this is supposed to make the trem work alot smoother.

as for the questions, the trem has something you can remove ( i can't recall the name) that will make it work more as a dive only type trem and if you break a string it will stay in tune but it is removeable so it will act as a standard floyd if you take it off.
So I guess you could say it's as much a pain in the ass to tune

Im not sure if you have to cut of the ball end but with that trem i think so, but i jsut put my ball end strings the other way around if that helps

Yes it can go two ways but so can any standard floyd

the sustain and tone im not sure but ive never had a problem with any of my floating trem ibanez guitars but i have RGs

I hope that helps
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"