View post (Fender vs. Wilkinson trems)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
12/29/2006 1:10 am
A Wilkinson tremolo on a Vintage style trem Strat would be no different in range than the stock style vintage bridge... The "locking" pertains to the fact that the bridge has locking nuts that you screw down onto each individual string to keep them in place... It helps stay in tune slightly.... But in the end doesn't make much of a difference. I have vintage trems on both my strats and I wouldn't change them for anything.... If you're worruied about rocking forward and back... you can set a vintage style trem up to "float" it won't have the same range as a FR but it will give you the ability to sharpen notes slightly.... A floating setup is the basic setup for a vintage strat trem. If you want tuning stability in a fender trem you either screw it down to the body or block it... It's a fact that a Fender Strat bridge will never stay in tune 100% all the time.... unless its screwed down or blocked.... But the Wilkinson would be a slight upgrade... nothing special though. Personally, I like historically correct guitars.... That's why my vintage guitars still have there vintage trems.... It all comes down to what you want in the end though.