View post (Passive and Active Pickups in the same guitar)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
12/29/2006 3:28 am
Personally, a guitar with one pickup would be as worthless to me as a guitar with no strings... I coudn't image my tone being restricted to a a bridge pickup...... I only use my bridge pickup in my strat when I need that seering lead tone... Any other time I'm usually using the middle/bridge... the middle... or the neck. I like smooth tones but I like the verstaility of the single coils to get a tone a variety in my tones... I would shoot myself if I had a guitar with only one pickup...

If you're looking for a high output pickup to put in the bridge.. just grab a Dimebucker from Seymour Duncan... it's got a ceramic magnet and it's almost as hot as any other active pickup. You won't need to alter anything it's pretty much a direct replacement pickup for any guitar that already has passive pickups.... If you have your heart set on a "livewire" then go for it... But i gaurantee that the tone isn't going to be much different from any other high output pickup... Once you start getting into active and high output pickups the tones are pretty similar because the thresholds of "tone" have already been crossed... Normally you're going to get a harsh tone either way.... which compromises the clean tone... But whatever works for you.