Bands Made By The Guitarist

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/03/2007 11:47 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanBut ZZ Top had one of the most instantly recognizable vocalists to go a long with Billy's instantly recognizable guitar tone... I love listening to "Waiting for the Bus" Such a simple song.

I dunno if that's part of your point, but Billy is almost always their singer, including on that song. Except on Tush...that's Dusty Hill (bassist). I always thought it was kinda funny how Billy was smaller and skinny but has the deeper bass range, while Dusty is big and chunky but with the higher voice. You hear em both sing back and forth on "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers".
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 9:04 am
Originally Posted by: BLS33Thats not true, I would say most metal bands the lead singer is the focal point, when you think of Iron Maiden you think of Bruce, Sabbath Ozzy (i'm not counting the other lead singers for sabbath because the average metalhead just thinks of ozzy with them) Judas Priest Rob Halford, and so on.

OZZY WAS THE ORRIGINAL.

Did you notice both bands are british. Hah we invented metal so there. You guys across the pond just seem to do it better. DRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/13/2007 6:04 pm
I love the Nuge. (If you get the Outdoor Channel, tune into his hunting show "Spirit of the Wild." Excellent stuff) However, I don't think anybody ever claimed him as a "great" guitarist. Most of his music is based on simple classic rock riffs. I enjoy it to bits though. Probably because I'm a redneck and he writes about hunting. Not to mention, I agree with him on about every aspect of life. Brilliant man.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
BLS33
BLS33
01/13/2007 11:45 pm
Originally Posted by: BluegrasslimeyOZZY WAS THE ORRIGINAL.

:

Yeah I know ozzy was the original but they also had many lead singers over the years. Dio, Tony Martin, Ian Gillian, David something, I think there were 2 or 3 more as well.
# 4
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
01/14/2007 3:23 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI love the Nuge. (If you get the Outdoor Channel, tune into his hunting show "Spirit of the Wild." Excellent stuff) However, I don't think anybody ever claimed him as a "great" guitarist. Most of his music is based on simple classic rock riffs. I enjoy it to bits though. Probably because I'm a redneck and he writes about hunting. Not to mention, I agree with him on about every aspect of life. Brilliant man.

Ha, did anyone see Saturday night live, when they made fun of his hunting show? He shot Prince in the chest with an arrow. :D
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/14/2007 6:27 am
Ted Nugent is near the top of the list of all the people in the world I'd be scared to meet in real life. He's such a nutjob.

As for guitarist-made bands - the White Stripes. Obviously. They'd be pretty different without Jack White. :)

I'm also gonna say Sonic Youth, because if it weren't for all the crazy guitar-induced sound-textures, they'd pretty much suck.
# 6
mylosingseason
mylosingseason
08/23/2007 8:07 pm
Total agreement on Jack White... the Raconteurs wouldn't be much without him either.

As for the well balanced band: all the examples given are good ones but most of the guitarists mentioned are pretty much the cream of the crop yet, other than SRV, there aren't that many bluesmen mentioned. I would say that pretty much any blues band is totally based around the guitar.
# 7
learninclutch
learninclutch
08/26/2007 12:05 am
i think Kenny Wayne Shepard or Jonny Lang could play on their own like SRV, Vai or.
Randy Rhoads made any band he was in. Good Die Young
Jack White
Jack Black?
Eddie Van Halen could start any kind of band
Rocky George the ruler from Suicidal Tendencies could be argued that he made that band, when he was not on records, it sucked.
Learn the common and chromatic blues scale!Sincerely, Fish Head Phil
# 8
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/31/2007 5:51 pm
You have to agree Angus Young IS AC/DC
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 9
Mark U.
Mark U.
08/31/2007 6:20 pm
Eric, Jeff, and Jimmy. The ultimate guitarist band!!!
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/31/2007 7:52 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEYou have to agree Angus Young IS AC/DC

Doesn't Malcolm write most of their riffs?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
Superhuman
Superhuman
08/31/2007 7:56 pm
Steve Vai made the David Lee Roth albums a success - without a gutiarist that could top EVH nobody would have cared what DLR came out with...
Same goes for Ozzy, he was messed up and unpopular after he was booted out of Sabbath. He wouldnt have made the return he did if it wasnt for Randy Rhoads...
Not everyone may agree but I reckon Megadeth would have faded into obscurity after So Far So Good So What... if it wasnt for the injection of professionalism and insane signature sound that Marty Freidman brought. Rust In Peace is still one of the best metal albums ever made and the guitar work is incredible - without Friedman they never would have went where they did.
# 12
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
09/01/2007 2:39 am
Uhhh... The Derek Trucks Band. Their name speaks for itself. As much as they like to share the spotlight, we all know that they wouldn't have much or any of the publicity that they have today.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 13
dvenetian
dvenetian
09/01/2007 3:14 am
It's funny that you don't see Slash mentioned in this thread, as popular as he is. It's true that he didn't make the band, neither did Axl. It was a joint chemistry that made GNR and by what they have tried to do as individuals proves that without question (other than this gig).
Wanna see one trashed Slash????????????????? Too funny, he is just gone. Look at the band staring at him completely lost and trying to save it.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdqtxp0xNhc

Edit; Oopps, sorry, forgot to add this one, What is this??????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Askf2UqR3Kg
# 14
iloveguitar13
iloveguitar13
09/01/2007 10:34 pm
I love the band Rush! They r my all time fave! If anyone else likes them email me. dolphinsrock_94 [at] yahoo.com. If u have IM (for yahoo or msn 2.) I can play the beginning of 1 rush song and working on another.
# 15
clewnii
clewnii
09/02/2007 9:38 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovDoesn't Malcolm write most of their riffs?

I belive thats true..
# 16
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
09/04/2007 1:24 pm
Originally Posted by: clewniiI belive thats true..
But arent we talking about the guitarist that makes the band. And Angus is the upfront showman/Songwriter
# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/04/2007 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEBut arent we talking about the guitarist that makes the band. And Angus is the upfront showman/Songwriter

He's the showman, yes, but I remember very clearly in an interview Angus saying that Malcolm is the primary riff writer.

As much as we as guitarists may love Angus' guitarwork, 90% of AC/DC's fans are listening to the drums and rhythm guitar (then the lyrics and then the guitar leads).

If Angus and Angus alone "made the band" then you could remove Malcolm from the equation. But if you do that, then you lose the riffs and without the riffs, you've torn a big chunk of the heart out of AC/DC.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
09/04/2007 5:47 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovHe's the showman, yes, but I remember very clearly in an interview Angus saying that Malcolm is the primary riff writer.

As much as we as guitarists may love Angus' guitarwork, 90% of AC/DC's fans are listening to the drums and rhythm guitar (then the lyrics and then the guitar leads).

If Angus and Angus alone "made the band" then you could remove Malcolm from the equation. But if you do that, then you lose the riffs and without the riffs, you've torn a big chunk of the heart out of AC/DC.
Alright alright I will admit defeat. You win. ;)
# 19
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
09/04/2007 5:50 pm
So who made the band in Mr.Big? Billy S. or Paul G.
I think Billy S. on Bass.!!!! Oh yeah!! :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.