View post (Bands Made By The Guitarist)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
01/03/2007 7:51 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianNugent is one of the best string bending guitarists to ever play the instrument. If you attempt to play some of his songs (like Stranglehold) you'll see what I'm talking about. Your fingers will be sore for days just trying to play it.

First off... I love Nuge'.

Second, I would never say he's that "fast". His runs are pretty simple compared to other "fast" players.

Third, the difficulty of Stranglehold and its affect on your fingers is basically all about string guages... I'm most certain that Ted uses very very light guage strings in that song... Making his bends that much easier. I play heavy guage strings so anytime I play that song it's generally I substitute some of hte less audible string bends for slides or pull offs and hammer ons. Killer tune though...

I think I've said this before in this thread... but I'll repeat it:
Most bands make it big because they have great balance in their band. I don't think a band carried by a guitarist would ever make it big... You almost have to have a great frontman to really make it big...

The only bands that are really made by the guitarist are bands that the guitarist is the front man... Or Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Malmsteen, Buckethead.... the virtuoso's.