View post (Bands Made By The Guitarist)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
12/20/2006 1:09 pm
Originally Posted by: R. Shackleferd

So being that it's harder to name guitarists who made the band, illustrates the importance of chemistry with everyone in the band. Many a poor solo career testifies to this.

Pretty much sums it up.

If you're talking about guitarists that make the band... The only ones you can really name are guys like Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Johnson, Beck... so on. Guys that front their own bands. But even then you're still looking at bands with multitudes of talent behind them... Take Vai's band for instance....

When you look at truely great bands you see the same thing. Every great guitarist is accompanied by a great front man... Axl/Slash, Ozzy/Rhoads/Wylde, Plant/Page, Hammett/Hetfield, Gilmour/Waters.... It's a much longer list but those are the main ones... When I saw Maiden at OzzFest a few years back I couldn't believe how balanced they were... I think a truelly great band becomes great by having that balance... That's why it's impossible to name a great band that is carried souly by one facet of the music.... Whether it be guitars, drums, vocals, or bass....