View post (What exotic scales are popular in metal music nowadays?)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
12/24/2006 7:20 am
Originally Posted by: gennationI have a Phrygian Dominant tutorial you'll dig. http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/PhryDom/PhryDomTOC.htm

The examples are on acoustic. But grab a couple of these licks and crank up the electric and you'll be screamin'.

Enjoy!

If a player is well versed in diatonic tonality applying raised thirds to his/or her key pattern practices can add a new twist to the same old tones ,(and I advise slowly moving thru out the entire neck, up/down, left/right memorizing the scale patterns as best as possible from top to bottom!)
Many master axman dabble with Phrygian dominant type scales, and there allways an interesting take to basic Diatonic wizardry.
I allways preach first making sure you have a working knowledge off the diatonic scale key patterns in at least one key for starters. The scale patterns are the same in all keys, so its not so hard once you commit. In my opinion there is not many more improtant things that are a NEED to know for the progression to virtuosity, and the freedom to cirumnavigate two octaves in a controlled fashion, (as apposed to frustration, and burn out from lack of guidance, and understanding,(and some cases effort)