View post (new pups for vintage beast)

View thread

force_of_shred
force_of_shred
11/08/2006 4:45 am
Ok I found a prize of a guitar used at my local music store it's about a 30 year old Greco neck- thru body double cutaway les paul style guitar. It has two humbuckers and one bright switch for each pickup, 2 tone 2 volume and a 3-way toggle selector. Ok I think about this constantly, What pickup should i put into this beast that is very noisless,high output, and will sill let me hear the benefits of the neck through and heavy wood body. My other guitar is a jackson dxmg with emg 81and 60 comdo i love it to death but id hate to make my vintage axe sound less that it could be in terms of "tone" meaning if herd its a bad idea to put emg's into vintage axes if you want to still hear them as vintage. anyway Has anyone put emg's into a solid guitar like this or an LP and find it any diffrent than doing so to say an alder bolt-on like my jackson.

also if emgs are a really bad idea what kind of passives would have a similar output so if i switch them live i wont have issues.

Oh yeah Im obsessed with emgs super clean and clear sound But im willing to be swayed onto the classic path.

Sorry for the long question :)
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock