View post (Jolly writes a story)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/31/2006 5:18 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Touche' my friend - well said. (understand, I am not denigrating Joyce. I am only saying that I find Ullyses a very dense and difficult work. I thought that Finnegans Wake and the Dubliners to be wonderful reads. Joyce was a major literary force. Perhaps I am a little too stupid to appreciate Ullyses??? That is most likely the case. ) But then literary criticism is nothing more than fusing of literature and art and art for arts sake...??? a snake eating it's own tail, wot? :)

I...I don't know what to say.

I can't believe you liked Finnegan's Wake but not Ulysses! I mean, I love them both, but it's very, VERY rare to find someone who likes Dubliners and the Wake but not Ulysses... Most people are turned off by either the Wake or Dubliners. Fascinating, actually. Ulysses needs some serious analyzing, but so does Finnegan. I think if you could get the Wake, you can get Ulysses, just try out the book I suggested. Ulysses is incredibly dense and difficult, and I guarantee I know exactly where you fell off the boat. Does the sentence read, "ineluctable modality of the visible, thought through my eyes?" Pick up the book I mentioned, it opens up Ulysses BEAUTIFULLY.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...