View post (Guitar Bodies And Amps)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
10/30/2006 6:55 pm
Hey everyone, I'm am kinda unhappy with my gear situation at the moment and by virtue of being poor there isn't much I can do about it. However, I am interested in finding ways of getting cool **** without paying as much.

Pt.1

This particular question is about Guitars, and if It's possible to buy just guitar bodies, without pickups or any electronics, but preferably with stuff like a bridge and tuners and such, and that would allow me to put in the electronic stuff in myself. I am not sure how, but I have connections so getting everything together would be the easy part. Also it would be great if you could buy them unpainted, cause I like to paint and I think it would be alot of fun to paint my own guitar. any way, I'm sure I can get my answer by doing a search on google for guitar bodies, but I wanted to ask you guys if you have any suggestions, things to look out for. What type of wood to go for, necks, body types, tuners, bridges.

Also If I did end up with just a blank body and neck, what type of bridges and necks do you guys suggest, and would it even be possible for someone with no experience to get them in the guitar without ****ing something up. However, even if its not I'd like to know, Im sure I can find someone to help me out.

I can't see how this wouldn't save me money but anything is possible I guess. I need it to be a great metal guitar (long sustain, low action, good for metal rhythm in particular), so I know that would make a differnece in what I go for, and I would most likely put Dimarzio pickups in it.

Pt.2

I need a good flexible amp, that gets great distorted metal tone. I keep looking at the Line 6 Flextone just cause it is really flexible and would be real easy to record with. I dont need absolutley amazing world class tone, just good tone. I've played the flextone a few times and it seems alright, I didn't spend alot of tie dialing in tones so that probably has something to do with it, I know a guy who has a Flextone 1 and it sounds pretty good to me, and he puts up with it and is much much... much better than me so. Any way I'd love to be able to afford a Boogie or Nice Peavey like 5150 or 6560 or whatever the new one is, but I can't and wont be able to fr some time.

So any help in either area, preferable the first one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.