View post (One Year Since Katrina)

View thread

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/30/2006 9:03 pm
I just "picked-up" a student today. He is originally from New Orleans. He was a "victim" of the hurricane.

His family was one of the fortunate ones who did not have to rely on FEMA etc. and they had the means to re-locate. The real kicker is that that his mother developed cancer after Katrina and this is why they have moved to the Houston area to be closer to MD Anderson for treatments.

She is doing well (funny how you can gather this information through something as common as music). I will be giving him his first "Texas" lesson this Monday.

He has ben playing for about 1 year and has been without instruction for the past 3 months since moving to Houston. It was a referral from one of my students who is his neighbor.

Whats the point?

God does work in mysterious ways. I feel honored, fortunate, and blesed to have the opportunity to help a fellow musician and the support his mother (whom I talked with today) strongly wants and urges her son to continue with his Guitar. Direct quote -- " He loves the guitar and I just want him to find someone else to help him foster and grow his abilities."

I find it inspiring that even though they have gone through losing everything, relocating, finding out about a terminal illness, moving to be closer to great treatment... that the parents have pushed this behind them and are more focused on the development and well being of their children.

For the parents in this forum... I am one of them .... it opened my eyes that this is what I should aspire to be. Putting myself last for the sake of my children.

I just wanted to share this with you becuase it touched me in a way that makes happy that I am able to pass along knowledge and help a fellow musician in some small way and helped me take a closer look into myself.

Since they were in one way affected by Katrina I felt this would be the proper place to post this.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]