View post (One Year Since Katrina)

View thread

tehplatypus
tehplatypus
08/28/2006 5:40 am
my reflections on where i am now vs where i was before katrina...

one year ago from today (counting today as sunday) i evacuated from new orleans. on tuesday, it'll be one year since i lost my home, my guitar, my records, my bed, my desk, my kitchen table, my microwave, my practice amp, my foot pedals, my wires, my recording gear, my microphones, my favorite jacket, my only and favorite trenchcoat, my less than jake t-shirt, my home made shirts, my favorite shoes, my setlist from one of hallway karate's gigs, my posters, my nintendo, my sega, my intellevision, all the games that i had with each system, my television, my dvd/vcr combo, and most importantly....since i lost my home where all my friends are and where many good times and memories were built. if it were a weekend, i'd get blazed out of my mind stoned or puking drunk...probably a little of both. i have a better job now than i did then and it pays more and i get more hours...but i liked the other job more...my co-workers and i pretty much ran the place and it was a great, easy job renting movies and keeping a store straight. don't get me wrong...i love testing games and all....but there wasn't the kind of weight in the job like there is now in terms of stress and worrying about if i'm gonna lose my job or not and how secure i am. i live on my own now which is both nice because i dont have to deal with living with other people but i also pay a lot more for rent than i would otherwise. if i was living with someone else, i could have rent more around the $400 or $500 range as opposed to the $730 i'm paying now. also, my cable bill would cut down and i'd be paying just $50. energy would be about the same...but the money saved from the other cuts would obviously make that a breeze. just paid my power bill, speaking of. not too bad....only about $120. i pay more for cable and internet. i dunno...i'd take the pay cut to go back to new orleans....i think. i dunno...i always realize the grass is greener on the other side...but in new orleans, it wasn't that the grass is greener in another city or another state or 3 states down. am i better off now than i was in new orleans? depends on who you ask. if i do make another return back home...i'm not leaving again. i promise that.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.