What album changed your life?

earthman buck
earthman buck
08/28/2006 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckMichael, you owe me big for introducing you to Nirvana.

Although I must say, it was probably the same for me, Nirvana by Nirvana. I bought it when it came out because "You Know You're Right" was constantly playing on the damn radio and I liked it. That was about when I said to myself "Sweet Jesus, I must be a part of this so-called 'music.' "

Another crucial one is Zeppelin II. When I was in grade 7 (I think), my gym teacher lent me Zeppelin II and The Grand Bazaar by the Tea Party for the weekend, saying I'd like them a lot. I listened to Zeppelin II first, and ended up with it on loop all weekend. I never did listen to that Tea Party one. I think that was the point when I realized there was more to music than Nirvana.

I'm gonna throw a couple others out there, 'the White Album' and Dirty, just because those were the ones that got me into the Beatles and Sonic Youth, respectively, and now they are quite possibly my two favourite bands.

I need to add a couple which pre-date everything I mentioned.

20 Golden Hits - The Mamas and the Papas
The Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton

When I was about 6 or 8 or some young age, I listened to those tapes every day, non-stop. Nirvana and Zeppelin may have gotten me into rock music, but those two I just mentioned were the very first music I ever liked.

I only bring them up because I just found them both a few minutes ago and I'm giving them a listen for old times sake.

Excellent stuff. :)
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
08/28/2006 7:01 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckThe Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton

I think I read somewhere that that was the album which got Alex Lifeson from Rush into music :cool:.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/28/2006 9:40 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusI think I read somewhere that that was the album which got Alex Lifeson from Rush into music :cool:.

Really? That's crazy. Next thing you know the Greasy Knots will be a Rush cover band. ;)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.