View post (Alice in chains is better than nirvana)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
08/07/2006 5:02 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaThe only decent thing that came out of Nirvana was Dave Grohl. But, all in all, they're my least favorite band that came out of that period.

That's probably the most perfect two sentences to come out of this thread... haha

Drummers... Dave Grohl is a great musician... Not overpowering behind a guitar... but he was the best guitarist in Nirvana... if that says anything... His drumming for Nirvana was more or less the background music to all the songs. Like was said... it's thoughtless beats that compliment the 3 chords that Cobain would sloppily play and whine over... It was never meant to stretch the boundaries of the sonic mix... AIC always had the type of drum tracks that you could listen to without even having the guitars, bass, or vocals in the mix.

Guitars... Jerry Cantrell versus Kurt Cobain... honestly... I mean... come on... Out of all fairness to Nirvana I will neglect any album that AIC has done with electric leads from Cantrell... and we'll simply compare the "Unplugged" sessions... oh.... wait... that wouldn't be fair either...

Vocals... Kurt Cobain had a unique way about him that could be appreciated. He had that "I'm going to mumble and I don't care if you can't understand me" mentallity... which embodied the grunge theme... Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrells vocals were more musically inspired and less "dying stray cat" inspired... "Rooster", "Angry Chair", "Wrong", "Excuses", "Heaven Beside You"... all unbelievably vocal tracks...

Alice in Chains... as my opinions state above... is a better band...

Along with plenty of other bands of that time period... Need not mention Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers..etc...etc...