View post (Alice in chains is better than nirvana)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
08/03/2006 11:19 am
I will go ahead and say..... The following were better bands than Nirvana....

IMHO

Temple of the Dog (Come on!! Chris Cornell, Mike McCready on guitars, Eddie Vedder guest vocals...)
Pearl Jam (A LOT Better guitar work, similar yet more dynamic vocals, great lyrics)

The following are bands from that era that >>I<< like more than Nirvana.
Candlebox (eh... I have a thing for them... I don't know why. I know everyone will disagree with this one... But I like the song writing style they use.... But this is all opinion anyway. haha)
Silverchair... (Have a listen to "Frogstomp" that album is pretty killer. It's kind of a mix between Nirvana and Blind Melon...which leads me to...
Blind Melon... haha. (The lead singer was from a small town right outside Lafayette... so sue me.)

My personal favs are just some that I added in. It's hard to hold a candle to a mythical figure like Kurt Cobain is... because, I mean... Let's all face it... That's what he is... a Myth. He didn't write most of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"... They're ticket to legend status... He couldn't play the guitar better than anyone of us could when we were one year into learning... He was basically an urban poet with a guitar. Nirvana was a good band. Don't get me wrong. I just think that Cobains suicide has been massively exploited by their marketing company to cash in. It's very largely been successful... A lot of music media writers from that era have written that Pearl Jam was largely more popular amongst the "Grunge" scene than Nirvana...... right up until that legendary gun shot.