View post (Best bands active today)

View thread

ZackyH
ZackyH
08/08/2002 1:56 am
Ok, come on guys. I know this is a guitar site and everything and I love the guitar too but my opinion is music doesn't have to have a guitar to be good. I love industrial electronic music. IMHO, it's one of the few genres of electronic style music that actually has a pulse. The stuff you hear at dance clubs with the same boring beats is completely lifeless but Industrial along with what Radiohead is doing actually has some heart behind it. On Amnesiac there are lots of great tracks that don't have guitar: Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates, and Life In a Glass House. Well, I pretty much like everything on that album except for Revolving Doors and Hunting Bears.

Anyways, my list of good bands currently making music:

Skinny Puppy (They're getting back together and Danny Carey is going to be a guest drummer! Woohoo!)

Seaking of Carey, Tool is on my list. They're one of the best metal groups working today. (BTW, if you ever goto a Tool show you may hear music playing before the show starts, you may hear some Skinny Puppy. Carey has been picking the songs).

System of a Down, and people place them in the category of Nu-metal??? I thought nu-metal was supposed to suck.

Nine Inch Nails, even though he did rip off Skinny Puppy and Ministry in his first album, Pretty Hate Machine ((Check out Skinny Puppy - Dig It and compare it to NIN -Down In It, Ministry - Isle of Man (Version II) and compare it to NIN - Sin. Listen for certain samples, drum loops, and melodies. They're there if you really listen )). The guy has really come a long way and has actually become an original artist. Right now he's working on the Doom 3 soundtrack and a project called Tapeworm with Maynard from Tool. Sounds sweet!

And Radiohead. I love their electronic stuff as well as their more guitar oriented The Bends and OK Computer albums.