Acoustic Guitar Strings

andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/21/2006 12:17 pm
The only bad experience I have had with Elixer strings is it seems that when they do break, which is not often they take skin with them.

Two of the six people I play with have had elixer strings break and got cut by them.

I personally have never had this experience.

One other note along the same lines is never use alcohol to clean your strings(any strings). It evaporates very quickly cooling off the strings causing them to contract.
Andrew
[FONT=Arial]Sarcasm Just One Of
Our Free Services.[/FONT]
# 1
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/23/2006 6:25 pm
:eek:

An aquitance has written a short article on guitar strings in the Christian Musician magazine and has given me permission to include it here. He is an expert, at least more than I, so here it is:

Strings:
Whether you play acoustic or electric guitar, strings are a big issue. Unlike the old days, there are few 'bad' strings anymore. In fact, a handful of factories produce most of the of the string brands we use.

When trying to find the perfect string, I wouldn't start with brand names. Start with gauges and metal alloys. Acoustic string gauges run from .010" - .046" to .013" - .056" and electric strings can run from .008" - .038" up to 013" - .056". Gauge selection is a tradeoff between playability and sound.

The better the tone, the harder they are to play. Also, larger gauge strings tend to stay in tune better and aren't easily "pushed" out of tune by a heavy grip.

I think the standard place to start should be a .012" set for acoustic or f-hole guitar and a .010" set for solid-body electrics. If you get much lighter than that, you begin to lose tone and develop tuning problems. Very much heavier and the playability becomes stiff.

I've discovered that the exact string set that I use varies from guitar to guitar, so I always start by trying 3 sets of strings. (The standard gauges I mentioned above and one gauge smaller and one heavier to compare.) Once I establish the size of the string for that guitar, I buy 3 or 4 sets of that gauge in different metal alloys and brands. Eventually I figure out what I like the best for sound, playability and durability and then I buy a box of them to cut down on the expense.

Some of my personal favorite strings are D'Addario Phosphor and Thomastik Spectrum Bronze light-gauge strings for my acoustic and Savarez Alliance high-tension strings for my nylon string. There are a lot of good electric strings and having several different electrics, the gauges I use range from .095" sets to .012" sets, depending on the guitar. I usually like D'Addario nickel and Thomastik Swing strings the best.

By the way, I always take my D'Addarios out of their boxes and place just the plastic wrappers in my case to save room.

John Standefer
Andrew
# 2
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
07/24/2006 3:40 pm
Did you string your guitar yourself? Ive been using the same set of Martin strings for the past two years and of course they are rusted and sound just crappy. I never changed them cuz i figured it'd be difficult. How did you change yours and is it difficult?

NB- I am nowhere near any kind of guitar help; professional or otherwise.
# 3
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/24/2006 10:59 pm
:confused:

I string my guitars myself. I have two acoustics an Ovation and an Art&Lutherie. Since I play for my church every Sunday I restring my guitars one a month. Most players will not need to do this so often.
Andrew
# 4
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
07/25/2006 12:09 am
Originally Posted by: bunmiadefisayoDid you string your guitar yourself? Ive been using the same set of Martin strings for the past two years and of course they are rusted and sound just crappy. I never changed them cuz i figured it'd be difficult. How did you change yours and is it difficult?

NB- I am nowhere near any kind of guitar help; professional or otherwise.

If you had the high bandwidth subscription here you'd have to look no further as Schmange has it covered in video. But since you don't, this is what I found after a quick search. Seems just about how I do it. Although I'll add that on that 1st crimp of the string before you feed it through the peg, I'll bend it using a guitar pick to make the angle extra defined...thus reducing slippage.
Tutorial
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 5
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
07/25/2006 1:31 pm
Does it matter if its an acoustic-electric? Are there special acoustic-electric strings or can i just buy regular strings and it'll work fine?
# 6
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/26/2006 1:47 am
:p

An acoustic/electric uses acoustic strings.
Andrew
# 7
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/26/2006 11:58 am
:(

You may not be able to use extra light strings on a guitar because of string buzz. I know that some of the cheaper Ibanez, Brownsville, and even a couple of the jasmine(a cheaper version of a Takimie) are really bad about this.

My last shot at this! :)
Andrew
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.