View post (Acoustic Guitar Strings)

View thread

lilifield
lilifield
07/19/2006 7:45 pm
Frank, someone suggested Elixur Nano Wed Lights and I went and bought a set and put them on. WOW... I could not believe the difference. My Ibanez now sounds like a freekin piano!

They are new, and really tight right now so I'm still in the process of stretching and pulling them, and refining the tuning. I've had them on less than 10 hours so I figure by tonight they'll be perfectly in tune. When you stretch them be careful of the 3rd string... those are the ones I'm told break easier. It's the same as getting a new pair of jeans... they are tight and stiff at first but after you wear them in they get soft and comfy.

My fingers are still sore, but I am feeling the beginning of numbness and callusses (yay). I still can't play more than 10 minutes at a time and that bites because I'm never ready to quit when my fingers say "enough". ;)

The Elixurs are really expensive though. I also bought a set of Martins which were like 1/4 of the price. I haven't tried them yet but I've heard through tons and tons of various sources that they are really good strings. After these Elixurs are ready for the trash I think I'll stick with Martins even if they end up not sounding like a piano. :p