View post (Acoustic Guitar Strings)

View thread

andrew3in1
andrew3in1
07/18/2006 2:26 am
:)

The Xlights I get have a wound third string. MOST but not all brand new guitars I have seen here in my part of the world all come with Medium strings(both my Ovation and Art&Lutherie came with mediums). I would have to agree with what the last poster said. Xlights will not give you the tone Lights or Mediums will, but if your acoustic is hooked up to an amp it makes no difference in my experience. But if you are in a recording studio you want the heaviest string your guitar can handle for the absolute best tone.

I have been playing at one church or the other every week for over four years, and have even gone to Mexico and played, and in all that time I have only broken 2 1st strings and that was because the manufacturer had not wound the little button on the bottom of the string right and Stringthis.com not only replaced those strings but sent me 10 complete sets for my troubles.

If you are just learning I would go with a light(12s) strings first and see how it goes. If they still seem to heavy for you go to Xlights or if they seem to light go to Mediums.

Andrew
The Ovation Guy.
Andrew
[FONT=Arial]Sarcasm Just One Of
Our Free Services.[/FONT]