View post (Acoustic Guitar Strings)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
07/13/2006 7:15 pm
Since you have an acoustic... the sizes are a little less important... most string brands only offer them in size packages light, med/light, medium, and heavy... I suggest light or med/light for any beginner... makes it easier on the hand muscles...

Usually guitars come with med/light strings already on them... So if you're comfortable with the ones on the guitar already... just go with med/light. If you want ligheter strings... get lighter ones...

Now for brands... When it comes to acoustic strings many people will argue that Elixer strings are the best you can buy... I happen to agree with that. But Elixers don't sound good on some guitars... Take a $2000 Taylor and a $2000 Martin... put them side by side and put Elixers on them... The Taylor will blow the Martin away in tone... Now do the same with Martin strings... The Taylor now will sound dead... where the Martin will sound a bit more alive. I highly recommend Elixers... go for the Nanowebs in med/light... that's my suggestion. They last longer than any other string out there, they're comfy to play... and they sound better than 95% of other strings. But you may want to try a few different just to find one you're happy with... After all... tone is what you're after.