View post (Two sweeping questions)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
07/12/2006 12:41 pm
I sweep like crazy in just about everything I play - that's the problem , once you get into sweeping in a big way it gets very addictive;-)

My advice is as follows:
Now that you've started getting a handle on the technique make sure that you elimnate any potential bad habits as they will be become next to impossible to correct at a later date. I really have to suggest that you try lifting each finger after the note is played... this is very difficult but it is more than worth the effort. Muting the strings is something that you should do with both hands, the fretting hand is easy, the trick with the right hand is to use the ridge of the thumb holding the pick. Also, there are a lot of different ways to sweep the same set of notes (different positions) - try to master them all, opens new doors plus stops you from being a one trick poney. As far as jamming goes, I only got to be able to add serious sweep picking in after I wrote a number of solos and experimented with what works where. Just stick to practicing them and they hould fall into line eventually. My 2 cents!